Register as an overseas visitor

Date published: 06 April 2020 11:39

Updated information - 31.03.20

Do you need to register with the police for the first time?

If you need to create an online account because your visa conditions have changed – or you have transferred to live in South Yorkshire from another area in the UK  or you have just arrived into the UK, please click here

You will not be able to book an appointment when your account has been created, but please do not worry.  The date you create your online account is the day we say you have registered with police.

Advice for people who have new information to report as part of the Police Registration Requirements:-

If you already have a police registration certificate

Please log back onto your online account here and begin the change of details procedure.

You will be able to add any new details such as BRP card address studies etc.

When you have submitted the information, the system will remind you to book an appointment.

Please do not click on the link as there are obviously no available appointments for the foreseeable future.

Whatever date you have updated your account is the date we will stamp onto your Police Registration Certificate when we are able to see you.

If you have not yet completed the registration process and do not have a police registration certificate

If you do not hold a Police Registration Certificate, you will not be able to update your online account with new information.

What you will need to do instead, is to email us at:-


In the email, please include your name and date of birth and let us know if you created your online account with a different email address from the one you are currently using.

You will need to send us a photo of the information that has changed.  If you have a new visa, then please send us a photo of the front and back of your new BRP card.

If your address has changed then please e mail us proof of your new address.

As long as we can clearly see your new information, we will gladly update your account for you.

When we are able to see you to complete the registration process, we will include both your old and new details onto your Police Registration Certificate.

All appointments for New Registrations, Changes of Details and Transfers are to be cancelled until further notice following Home Office advice in relation to Covid 19 policies.

We can be contacted via email at but will not be able to see anyone in person.

Please do not attend Snig Hill Police Station as you will not be seen.

At this moment in time we cannot state when any new appointments will be released.  We will liaise with the Universities to keep them informed of any changes as and when they may happen.

Do not worry about your visa requirements at the moment.

Thank you for your understanding in these rapidly changing circumstances.

1. Advice for overseas visitors arriving to South Yorkshire

When you enter the UK for the first time you may be asked to register with the police if you are a national of one of the following countries:-

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China (inc. Hong Kong  & Macao), Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan & Yemen.

The entry clearance visa in your passport may have any of the following wording:- Register with Police within seven days of UK arrival, Register with Police, Police Registration or Pol Reg. If this appears, then you will be required to register with police.

If you have been granted a BRP card as an extension to your entry clearance visa and it is a Leave to Remain visa (this means you applied for it whilst living in the UK ), you should receive an email from Home Office Atlas or possibly receive a letter from the Home Office instead, which states you now have a requirement to register.

This situation usually applies to students who have entered the UK on a three month entry clearance visa, whilst studying an English language course – but who have then progressed to starting a degree course.

In general, visitors with an entry clearance visa, which is valid for between three to six months do not need to register with police at that time.

If you are still uncertain about your requirement to register, the easiest thing for you to do is take screen shots of your visas and email them to us at the following address

Children under 16 years old do not have a legal requirement to register with police.

2. How do I register?

To either create a NEW REGISTRATION, report a TRANSFER to South Yorkshire Police from another Force area, or just have CHANGE OF DETAILS, you must firstly create an account online.

It should take around 10-15 minutes to complete. You will need a valid email address such as a gmail – but please, students especially, do not use a email address, as we have had a lot of problems with these.

You will need to enter personal information such as passport and visa details, your UK and home addresses as well as what you are doing in the UK.

If you are a STUDENT (with a Tier 4 or Short Term Student Visa) please choose the “Student” option so you will be able to enter your study details.

If you are an EMPLOYEE (With a Tier 2 or Tier 5 visa) please choose the “Employee” option, so you can state your occupation and place of work/research.

If you are a DEPENDANT or SELF-EMPLOYED (Turkish Business Person included) please choose the “NON EMPLOYEE” option. This will also include the T1 Entrepreneur visa. Please provide details of any company you have created in the Additional Information section.

You will also be required to upload a passport style photo of yourself – head and shoulders . A “selfie” is usually accepted.

If you are MARRIED we do require your spouse’s details – name, date of birth, date of marriage and passport number

However, if your spouse is in the UK and also has the requirement to register with police, they must also create their own account with their own email address.

If you are are TRANSFERRING from another area in the UK to live in South Yorkshire and already have a Police Registration Certificate to update, please choose the TRANSFER option. You will be required to provide your current UK address as well as the previous address before you moved as well as passport and visa details.

When you have successfully created your account having entered seven or eight pages of information as well as your photo, you will be sent a link to book an appointment to complete the registration process.

If you are a NEW REGISTRATION, please choose from the NEW REGISTRATION ONLY venues 1,2,3 or 4. Appointments are usually available Monday to Friday and take around 15 minutes to complete.

If you are a TRANSFER  and only need to have your Police Registration Certificate updated please choose the CHANGE OF DETAILS ONLY venue 1.

If you have previously had a Police Registration Certificate but is has been lost or stolen please create an account if you do not already have one and book an appointment at one of the NEW REGISTRATION venues. The same applies if you have already got a Police Registration Certificate but need a REPLACEMENT due to the boxes being full.

If you have LOST your Police Registration Certificate, then there will be a further £34.00 to pay.

If your Police Registration Certificate is FULL and a REPLACEMENT is required, you will be issued one FREE OF CHARGE.

Please create your online account HERE.

3. How do I report any changes of circumstances?

If you already have an online account please log back on and choose the CHANGE OF DETAILS option.

You will be able to add any new information   - then after it has been submitted you will be sent a link to book an appointment.

From the drop down box, please choose the venue CHANGE OF DETAILS ONLY – Venue 1.

Appointments are usually available Monday to Saturday.

4. Leaving the UK permanently to return home?

If your studies or employment have finished, and you are leaving the UK to return home on a permanent basis, please can you return your Police Registration Certificate to the Enquiry Desk at Snig Hill Police Station around seven days before your departure.

The Enquiry Desk at Snig Hill is open every day, between 8am and 8pm.

You do not need to book an appointment to do this, but we will ask to see your flight details so we can add this information onto your account.

We will keep your Police Registration for 12 months after your departure date or 12 months after your current visa expires whichever is the longest time.

Should your circumstances change and you do come back to the UK for further studies /work etc, we will return your Police Registration Certificate back to you and add on all your new details.

There is no charge for this.

If you are leaving the UK for three months or more but intend to return  - email us at

Please include your name, Police Registration Certificate number as well as your intended travel dates. You do not need to make an appointment for a temporary absence as we do not record this information on your Certificate.


5. What will happen if I do not register with the police within seven days?

Failure to register with the Police is an offence under Section 26(1)(f) of the Immigration Act 1971 – and when a person fails to register you could face prosecution. You may be liable to arrest and could face a fine of up to £5,000, six months imprisonment –  or both. Your stay in the UK may be affected.

If you are late registering with the police, or updating any changes, it may affect any further visa application you make for the UK. The UKVI can refuse to issue you with a new visa!

IMPORTANT – The date you create your account online is the date we say you have registered with police.

Please do not worry if you cannot get an appointment to see us for six to eight weeks.

6. What do I need to bring to my appointment for Police Registration?

When you are registering for the first time, you must bring the following:-

. Passport (photocopies are not allowed)

. BRP card – and, if it is a LEAVE TO REMAIN visa (if you applied for it whilst you were in the UK) you should also have received either an email or letter from the Home Office which tells you to “register with police within seven days”. If you are unable to provide this email or letter, we will not be able to complete the registration at your appointment.

. CAS statement/Confirmation of Student Status letter – proof of your studies.

. Employment contract or proof of employment if working.

. Details of any company you may have set up in the UK.

. Accommodation Contract – proof of your address (even if it is temporary, such as a hotel or you are staying with a friend).

. The current fee of £34.00.

We accept Apple Pay, debit/credit cards or cash. If paying with cash please bring the exact amount, as we may not be able to change larger notes.

If you already have a Police Registration Certificate and are just updating your details or transferring from another Force area, you must bring your certificate, passport and details of whatever has changed.

We are happy to see details of your address or studies/employment on your phone if you have not printed them off.  However, to save time, it is a good idea to screen shot the information as this is often quicker and easier for you to find.

There is no Wifi connection in our office and we do not allow memory sticks to be plugged into our computer network.

7. What happens if I cannot attend my scheduled appointment?

You will receive an automatic email reminder 48 hours before your appointment. If you cannot come to the appointment, then you can cancel or reschedule it up to 24 hours before the appointment time, by logging back onto your account.

By cancelling your appointment, you are giving someone else the opportunity to book it, which helps us to see as many people as possible.

If you do not have your passport in time for the appointment (maybe it has been sent away for a visa application) please re schedule the appointment as we cannot complete your registration without it.

Contact us

If you are having problems creating an account, please email us at and we will be able to assist.

Please do not attend at Snig Hill Police Station without an appointment.

Please note there are no toilet facilities at Snig Hill Police Station, and there is no car parking.

Our address is:

Overseas Visitors Registration Office

Snig Hill police station
S3 8LY

No Items to display